OH LCBO, what wonderful things you supply.
On my last visit to the local liquor store I picked up this season’s issue of Food and Drink, the LCBO’s quarterly food magazine. After flipping though all the recipes I came across a delicious looking Walnut-Herb Risotto that I knew I had to try.
To be honest, before trying this recipe I had never made risotto, nor had I eaten it. The risotto’s picture in the magazine just looked so enticing, it felt like a good idea to try.
In the end, I really enjoyed the combination of fresh herbs, the creaminess of the rice/cheese, and the crunch of the walnuts. To be fair, I am pretty sure I did under-cook the rice as it was still a little crunchy when I sat down to devour the dish. On the upside, the recipe is gluten-free and in theory isn’t too hard to prepare. It is a little pricey as you have to purchase all the fresh herbs and Arborio rice specifically for the dish, but if cooked properly it is definitely worth the splurge.
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 t Butter
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2 cups Arborio Rice
- 1 carton, chicken broth (ensure its gluten-free if you are celiac)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Walnuts
- 1 t Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 2 t Thyme, chopped
- Melt butter and heat oil in a medium sauce pan
- Add onion, and cook until translucent
- Add rice and stir well
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, heat chicken broth and water
- One ladleful at a time, add the hot broth to the rice
- Stir until almost absorbed and repeat
- When all the broth has been added, remove from heat before all the liquid is absorbed
- Mix in cheese, walnuts and herbs
- Serve and enjoy