As many of you know I am a fiercely competitive potlucker. No matter what the occasion, I always bring out the big guns to try and woo everyone at the meal. Normally, I bring my double tomato bruschetta, which is always, (I mean ALWAYS) is a crowd pleaser. But when my friend Victor offered to host a potluck, I decided to break from my traditional roots and make something new.
Now, I always have recipes that I want to try. Typically as I browse though my favourite food blogs, I find recipes that I save for a rainy day. For the most part these recipes end up in a giant bookmark folder and are promptly forgotten about. This was not the case for this recipe. As soon as I saw it, I knew that I had to have it and that it woulld be the perfect dessert to bring to the party. As an added bonus this pie/tart, uses some of my favourite ingredients: cream cheese, chocolate and berries.
While the original recipe calls for the baker to make their own tart shell, I cheated and used a frozen store bought one that was hiding in my freezer. I recommend checking out the original recipe sourced below for the instructions on how to make the actual tart base. By skipping the tart manufacturing phase I was able to cut down the amount of time this recipe took. Over all it took me last than an hour to make and was a huge hit! Definitely a great summer treat and good for any occasion (or lack thereof).
- 1 pre-made pie shell
For the chocolate Ganache:
- 2 squares of bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 T unsalted butter, room temperature
For the Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 2 T cream
- 1 basket of fresh strawberries, stemmed and sliced thinly
- melted chocolate, for drizzling
- Place the chopped chocolate in a heat proof bowl
- Bring the cream to a slight boil in a pot then remove from heat
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for a few moments
- Begin to whisk the chocolate/cream mixture until the chocolate is full melted
- Whisk in butter into chocolate mixture
- Pour ganache into pie shell and spread evenly.
- Put shell into the fridge and allow the ganache to set
- In a new bowl, cream the cream cheese and sugar until smooth
- Add the vanilla and cream and mix until incorporated
- Remove pie shell from fridge and pour cream cheese mixture over the chocolate ganache layer and spread evenly.
- Take sliced strawberries and lay them in a circular patter from the outside in
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the finished pie.
- Refrigerate until you reveal the pie to tremendous applause.
Recipe Adapted from Annie’s Eats